Cradock Area Information

bellevue_room16

Attractions

    • Breë Street Is the oldest street in Cradock. No 38, or “Mulberry Shade”, with its Cape Dutch gable, is probably the oldest house, built in the early 19th century. The house named “Oude Kasteel” was the first Dutch Reformed Church parsonage in Cradock. The Anglican St Peter’s Church, built in 1858, and Methodist Church or Wesleyan Church are situated here.
    • The Cradock Four Memorial Visit the Cradock Four Memorial, which is situated in the Municipal Park to pay tribute to those who gave their lives for the struggle i. e. J. A. Calata, Mathew Goniwe, Sparrow Mkhonto and Sicelo Mhlawuli. A visit to the Cradock Four Graves situated in the Lingelihle Cemetery as well as The Cradock Four Gallery is recommended.
    • The Cradock Club
      The house was erected in + 1850 as a private residence and eventually in 1955 became the property of the Cradock Club. During the South African War, the club was used as a mess by officers of the Sherwood Forresters Regiment.
    • Dams In The Area
      For water sports visit the following dams: Grassridge, Lake Arthur and Commando Drift Nature Reserve.
    • Dundas Street
      Dundas Street is the second oldest street. The Cradock Club, which was formed in 1881, is situated in Dundas Street. Another house, Cumnor House, lower down the street was originally built as an identical twin to this house.
    • Dutch Reformed Mother Church (Upper end Church Street)
      The first community church in Cradock was established in 1817 when the Rev. John Evans was appointed as the towns first Miniter.
    • The Early 20th Century Horse Drinking Trough (Frere Street)
      A typical example of a stopping place, where farmers watered their horses after taking a long journey.
    • Egg Rock (Turn off 2 km from Cradock on the Queenstown Road)
      This 10m high egg-shaped dolerite rock, weighing approximately 488 tons, is precariously balanced on seemingly unstable material. Unfortunately, it has a piece missing on the southern side, which as reputedly cleaved by lighting in 1937.
    • The Great Fish River Museum
      Built in 1848, it was the second Dutch Reformed Parsonage in Cradock. The first to occupy it was Rev. John Taylor, who was baptized President Paul Kruger of the old South African Republic, in the Dutch Reformed Church. The building was proclaimed a National Monument in 1971. The Museum depicts the early history of the Eastern Cape Pioneers, circa 1840 to 1900.
    • Grave Of Olive Schreiner (Buffelskop on the Mortimer Road)
      Olive, her husband, Samuel Cronwright, their baby and a dog, Nita were buried in a sarcophagus on top of Buffelskop on the farm Buffelshoek, 26km from Cradock.
    • Grave Of Reginald Koettlitz
      The Grave is situated in the Cradock cemetery. The famous geologist, Dr Reginald Koettlitz, was a senior medial officer with Captain R. F Scott’s first expedition to the Antartic on the “Discovery” in 1905.
    • The Jurie Lombard Watermill (Town Park)
      This mill served an area with a radius of 150 km. In 1972 Mt Jurie Lombart, grandson of the originator of the mill, donated it to the public of Cradock and it was transported and re-erected on its present site in the Inxuba Yethemba Municipal Park.
    • Lake Arthur And Grassridge Dam
      The Lake is situated on the Tarka River, approximately 29km south-east of Cradock.The Dam was completed in 1924 and named after Prince Arthur of Connaught.
    • Masizame Community Centre
      Visit the Masizame Community Centre Library with the history of the apartheid regime. You can also find arts ad crafts at the centre. Mveliso Arts & Crafts project, which specializes in beadwork, situated here.
    • “Oukop” Hill (+/- 2 km from Cradock on Middelburg Road)
      If you’d like to have a panoramic view of the whole town of Cradock, take a drive up “Oukop” Hill and experience a little piece of Karoo, just above the town.
    • The Schreiner House (9 Cross Street)
      The famous South African authoress, who amongst many other literary works, wrote the book “Story of an African Farm” lived in this house in Cross Street in her youth, between 1868 and 1870. A pictorial display of her life as well as her personal book collection can be seen in the house.
  • Vusubuntu Xhosa Cultural Village
    A daily guided tour at the Vusubuntu Xhosa Cultural Village takes you through the Xhosa heritage.